Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Snow, Red Sox and dinner

I woke up this morning to see snow on the ground when I looked out the window. Not a good thing. But now it has about all melted so not big deal I guess..... just the minor mental depression I felt when I saw it.

The good news is the RED Sox finally got their opening day and they won 5-3. Beckett looked great as did Pedroia. He hit a home run his first time up.


Last night's meal was a family favorite Pasta Dish. A few years ago when we were visiting our son we had dinner at a restaurant called the Town Dock in Rye, NY. This was the dinner Bill chose to have and he liked it so well we decided to try it at home. That was a couple of years ago and we still love it.

We haven't really named it, just call it Penne with sausage and mushrooms. There is no written down recipe. I usually just wing it but the basic things are

Penne Pasta
Shitaki Mushrooms (sliced in thin strips)
Roma Tomatoes (chopped finely)
Spinach (I use Baby spinach and chop finely)
Italian Sweet Sausage
Garlic
Fresh Grated Parmesan

I usually cook up about 3/4 cup of the Penne for the two of us. (about 15 minutes) And meanwhile, in a frying pan I crumble the sausage and add garlic and cook until done. Then I add the mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach is limp and they are all blended.
Then, when Penne is done I drain it and add to the mixture in the frying pan. And finally serve with a topping of fresh grated parmesan.

With this recipe I always serve what we call Patti bread. A friend of our named Patti introduced us to this recipe.


Patti Bread:

Slice Italian bread, as many as desired.
Melt butter in a dish and dip each slice in the dish about 1/2 way down, to soak the bread on one side.
Sprinkle with seasoning.... you could use Italian seasoning but I use a McCormick seasoning blend called BASIL and GARLIC.
Put the coated slices on a cookie sheet and put under the broiler until they brown nicely. You much watch carefully that they don't burn.

For us this is a great meal.

No comments: