Monday, June 29, 2009

Travels to VA and WVA

I know, I have been away from my blog for awhile. But we have been traveling.

We just returned from 10 days on the road with our little camper being towed behind us.

Over the next few days I will try to talk about some of the things we did along the way.

It began on Friday a week ago when we headed out for Virginia, to a blue grass camp we often attend at the Log Cabin Campground just north of Winchester. Also lots of good pickin and jammin there so we were happy to be there. However, we managed to do some really interesting things, at least for me, on the Saturday we were there.

We drove to Front Royal, Virginia so I could do a bit of visiting with my ancestors. We first visited a cemetary where my Great-Great Grandfather Cone, his wife, a number of children and grandchildren were buried.


THEN we were able to visit the home he built for my great great grandmother back in 1869.
It is so fortunate that it has been kept up all these years and now is a Bed and Breakfast owned by a couple who love the old house and are restoring it beautifully. Almost all of the woodwork in the house is still original.

It was a strange feeling to know that my great great grandparents, great grandparents and even my grandmother lived there at one time. We enjoyed the tour of the house and were able to share a few tidbits of information with the family that owns it now.

The next day, before we took off for West Virginia, we managed to go to two flea markets that we like in the area and bought a few things.....

more in the next blog entry.

No comments: