Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Comforts of Home

Fall is almost here, and apples are abundant in our yard. It has definitely made me think of the comforts of home as we get ready for the cooler seasons.



I have finished all the machine sewing on the coverlet. I will do the "tying off" later. That is when I make a little tie in each joining corner. And it will need pressing too. I did bind the edges of the coverlet using the backing which was larger then the front. It went very well. I will enjoying using it, just don't want it to be too soon.


While harvesting the many apples we have from our trees I made some plans for dinner tonight.
I went on line to find a recipe.......... This recipe was excellent, the pork was VERY tender and flavors blended well together. Because it was just the two of us for dinner I cut the recipe in one third, just using 1/2 pound of pork. It worked very well. I bet I make it again soon.

TENDERLOIN OF PORK WITH APPLE-RAISIN GRAVY


I found this recipe at Cooks.com


1 1/2 lbs. pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat

1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground sage
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 tart apples, sliced
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. orange juice1 tbsp. vinegar
1/2 c. raisins
Season pork with salt, sage and pepper. Roast, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree oven 30 to 40 minutes.
Combine apples, brown sugar, flour, orange juice, vinegar and raisins. Pour over roast. Return to oven and roast about 30 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 170 degrees. Baste several times during roasting. Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
And for dessert, it was time for apple pie. I messed up on cutting one of the vents but it didn't hurt the flavor or consistency at all. The pie won't last long anyway.