Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mystery Ladies

I am going to start a new feature on my blog. On Wednesdays I will talk about some of my favorite authors, books and related things. I was going to call it Mystery Wednesdays because I love mysteries but I read so much more than that so plan to come up with another name. Check it out next Wednesday.
I read a LOT...... I also keep a list of the books I read. I seem to be averaging about 12 books a month at the moment. I always have a book handy in case I have to wait. I would far rather read than watch TV for example. (Hard to believe since I worked in television for many years.)
I love to read mysteries. Especially the "cozy" type. One of my all time favorite authors is Lillian Jackson Braun who writes The Cat Who..... series. I have read them all, twice at least. We now have a Siamese cat so I have a better understanding of those books..... LOL

Another favorite author is Susan Wittig Albert. She writes mysteries about a woman named China Bayles from the hill country of Texas who owns an Herb Shop called Thyme and Seasons.
A few years ago I had the privilege to meet Ms. Albert. She is a fun and interesting lady. If you read any of the Nancy Drew books back in the late 80s you would have read her writing. Her husband Bill Albert wrote the Hardy Boys books at the same time.
In 2005 I was asked to make a centerpiece for a table at the the National Assoc. of Miniature Enthusiasts (N.A.M.E.) convention. The subject was books so I made an imaginary Herb Shop like China Bayles might have had. Although I didn't get to keep it I took lots of pictures. It gave me a chance to combine my love of making miniatures with my love of reading.
Here are three pictures of the shop I made...............

No comments: