Saturday, January 8, 2011

The First Project

Yesterday I started collecting up the fabric I will be using for the first project on my sewing machine.  I am going to make a lap quilt using fabric with '50s colors, you know .... pink, turquoise, coral etc.  I found a lot of these at Wal-Mart, believe it or not, awhile ago.To get the rest I needed I went toJoAnn Fabrics.

I found the pattern for a quilt using "fat quarters" and that is what I will do.  In case you don't know a "fat quarter" if a quarter yard of fabric cut a bit differently. To make it more useful they take a 1/2 yard cut and cut it in half. Therefore a quarter yard. That means you can use it more easily in quilting and other crafting projects.

There are 12 different fat quarters.  Today I hope to start cutting them into the required sizes to make the quilt.  Yesterday I ironed them to make cutting easier and more accurate.  I will show a few of the cuts as I make them so you will understand what I am doing.  So tune in tomorrow.

No comments: