Monday, June 20, 2011

What I found when cleaning up my studio

You never know what you will come across when you work on cleaning up an art space!  I was pleasantly surprised to find a bunch of home made papers and projects I had made a number of years ago.  When we lived in Maine one of interests was making homemade papers.  I was quite gung-ho for awhile and even got involved in a few swaps.  But as with a number of my interests once I have learned to do it, I am off on something else.
Amongst the homemade papers i found these few little projects I had made using paper and some pressed items from my gardens.  I think I will probably use them in my new FTB garden journal.  They should add an interesting contrast to the other papers I will be using.

If you click on the picture it will get larger and you can see some of the details better. There are dried daisies, pansies and something else I don't remember.  And a lot of the paper was made using inclusions of dried herbs from my garden.

An aside to this story:

One day a friend of mine and I decided to make some paper using cat tails and didn't realize we shouldn't "cook" the stalks in the house. (Cooking is how you can make them "mushy" enought to press into paper.   My dear, normally patient, husband was not at all pleased! The smell was awful.  Since I didn't have a good place to cook outside I sort of changed my way of making paper and didn't do so much anymore.  Here is a picture of a bit of cat tail paper that I still have left.
It isn't very pretty is it. I suppose it would look interesting as a layer of a project.  I may end of using it in the journal and tell this story again.

4 comments:

Brooks Ann at Fossil Hill said...

Oh, I think that would make a great inclusion in your journal along with the story! I also really like your other papers you made. I would definitely include some of those also. Happy journaling!

Barbara Hagerty said...

Your papers are beautiful! I think they'd be wonderful in your journal!

GardenofDaisies (Gayle) said...

Oh no, what do cooked cattails smell like? Your petal papers are so pretty! My daughter made homemade paper for a 6th grade demonstration speech she had to do. We made several samples together at home for her display board. By the time she went to school and had to do the demo for the class, she was an old pro. I loved working on creative projects like that with my kids, because I felt they really learned something interesting.

GardenofDaisies (Gayle) said...

The guestbook idea is a really cute one!