Monday, April 30, 2012

Tea Cup Tuesday, first in May

Suddenly it is May.  Time for all the flowers that are supposed to follow after April Showers.  I have planted some pansies to start.  Hope to be able to put out more in the next couple of weeks.

This week I am going to share with you a set of dishes I recently obtained to sell in my shop.  I personally think they are stunning.  And with the color Purple, the transfer ware is not your run of the mill.  Usually you see blue, sometimes green or brown or red but not often Purple.

This set is called Charlotte and is by Royal Staffordshire.   

I have had a hard time learning the full tie in with Clarise Cliff and the Staffordshire China.
I did learn that The Royal Staffordshire Charlotte pattern was designed by Clarice Cliff, from an  engraving produced from original drawings by J. Gotts designer ca 1830.

Clarise Cliff seems to be far more known for her pottery from the 1920s and 30s.  If you want to learn more about that part of her work you can learn more at the Clarise Cliff Collectors Club...
 http://www.claricecliff.com/.   It tells about her more unconventional work of the Art Deco period.  I think that after looking at that work it explains a bit of my confusion on this design.
 I knew of her designs of that type before I found this set.


But no matter.  It is a beautiful set. 



 



After you visit my post today be sure to check out  these other tea posts today.


                                                                                    ALSO: Rose Chintz Cottage

6 comments:

Beth said...

Your transferware is absolutely stunning, Beth! I enjoyed seeing it. Have fun in your shop!
Beth

Lavender Cottage said...

I hope one day I can find purple transfer ware, just a teacup would be nice.
Yours is pretty, thanks for sharing.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Beth, your Charlotte is gorgeous! Purple is a colour I don't often see around here. Like Judith, I would love to find a teacup, and a dessert plate would be nice too. Thank you for sharing your very pretty china today.

Blessings,
Sandi

Terri said...

Hello Beth, your Royal Staffordshire is so beautiful! The coloring and design of the transfer pattern is gorgeous, even the bottom of it is so pretty to look at!
What a lovely name for the pattern too!
Hugs,
Terri

Sweet Pea said...

Violet is not a colour I have seen in china, how beautiful it is.

GardenofDaisies said...

This purple Charlotte transferware is gorgeous! I have a niece who LOVEs purple, so she would love to find some of this.