Monday, May 21, 2012

Red Rose Tea

I was introduced to Red Rose Tea many years ago while visiting with my husband's family in New Brunswick, Canada.  It is a very popular brand of tea in Canada.  (Should I admit here that I prefer the Canadian brand called King Cole Tea ?????.)

But back to the Red Rose Tea.  There is a wikipedia entry about Red Rose Tea where you can learn lots about the brand.     (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rose_Tea)

Red Rose tea is probably best known, after the tea itself, for all the premiums they offered in their boxes.
 Here is a picture showing some of the nursery rhyme characters that were offered in one of the early series. They offered many animals as well.   They now give out the little figurines in US tea but they aren't nearly is nice in my humble opinion.  Mostly because they don't have any hand painting like the ones given out in Canada.


The reason I am mentioning this now is because I wanted to show you an interesting cup and saucer that was also a premium they offered a while ago.  Actually it was a set of three tea cups and I only have one but you will get the idea. The set was three cups and apparently there was a little booklet that told how to read the leaves.  I don't have any of that but here is the cup and saucer I do have.






I am certainly not into tea leaf reading however I think it is an interesting idea to see the cups to use.  I might add that in Canada the normal Red Rose tea is in little gauze bags called "sachets." Unlike our cheap paper tea bags.  Also the gauze bag generally is good for up three cups of tea(depending on how strong you like it.) Because of this there are no loose tea leaves so no leaves to read.  

After you visit my post today be sure to check out  these other tea posts.


                                                            ALSO: Rose Chintz Cottage



6 comments:

Martha said...

What a neat cup. I've never heard of Red Rose Tea but love the fact that they gave premiums!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Beth,
My hubby loves his Red Rose Tea and alternates between Red Rose and King Cole depending on which one is cheaper on grocery day! I do remember those little figurines but not the teacup. I had quite a collection of those figurines which I gave to my children. I only drink herbal tea myself. Great post, and thank you for sharing. Have a lovely day.

Blessings,
sandi

GardenofDaisies said...

I've had Red Rose tea many times. My mom used to get it all the time. Yes, you can pick your own favorite tea! :-)

Faith Hope Cherrytea said...

I'm a King Cole fan myself :) and was entirely pleased when they expanded their market across Canada! now we can p it up whenever... not just when visiting the E coast!
thx for sharing.. did not know Red Rose had teacups on offer ?!

Terri said...

When I lived in Canada, Red Rose tea was the favorite drink. Tetly sometimes also had figurines inside. I think I remember little houses? My mother in law collected them as well as the little animals you have shared. It was really fun to collect them. I had not known about the tea cup tough, that is fab!
Hugs,
Terri

Unknown said...

Do you still have that old Red Rose box?