Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall begins on Tea CupTuesday

       Fall has always been my favorite season because of the colors and the temperatures.  Even when I lived in Maine, and it meant winter wasn't far away, I loved it.  There is just something so invigorating about the cooler temperatures and the beautiful colors.  The fall colors in Maine will always be a very fond memory.  We don't see them so bright here in Pennsylvania, mostly, I suppose because we don't have sugar maples.  But there are still some really nice color and it has started.

     This morning we heard a knocking sound way up in one of out trees and finally found the source, it was a    Pileated Woodpecker. I have seen him a few times before but they are rather shy. And he was WAY up in the trees.  I did get a picture, not as good as I would have liked but I did get one. 
 Here is a link for you to check out that will show it a lot better.  ( The Pileated Woodpecker.....)
 They are huge!  I imagine they were the inspiration for Woody Woodpecker because they have the big red comblike hair do... not like the woodpeckers you see more often.
     So that got my day started off well.....................

For my tea cup tuesday offering I went into my shop to see what I could find that would look like the seaason.   I found this one from out in my shop.  And I decided it might look good with the Ironstone Casserole I found there too. 


 The cup and saucer were made by Bell China.  From what I can learn, Bell China was part of, or an 
offshoot of   Shore & Coggins Limited.   

     
This mark was used from 1936 until 1966.


The little brown Ironstone casserole which includes a spoon  that I have pictured is made by T R. Boote



Brown and white transferware ironstone
is marked Tournay, T & R Boote
and is marked with a registry number, 33645
which dates it about 1885.

 

After you visit my post today be sure to check out  these other tea posts.


  ALSO: Rose Chintz Cottage

AND, check back on Friday.  I will be doing the second in a  "series of posts" about making fabric flowers.  

7 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Beth,
I had a woodpecker visit our bird feeder on the weekend. We never had one do that before although we've seen plenty of them and heard them too up on our roof.
Love the brown casserole; it's lovely! Your teacup is wonderful for the season too. Thanks for sharing and Happy Autumn!

Blessings,
Sandi

Beth said...

Very pretty teacup! I enjoyed seeing the woodpecker too.

Millie said...

Both the cup and saucer and casserole are so nice!

Antiques And Teacups said...

I love woodpeckers! They are so much fun to watch...but I am amazed they don't always have headaches!!! Love your are deco teacup. Bell is a sister company to Queen Anne. I love those hand colored transferware designs! A wonderful autumn tea post!
Ruth

Terri said...

Hello Beth,
I do love fall too! There is just something so renewing about the fall weather, the changing colors and the new cycle of seasons.
Your Bell china tea cup is beautiful! I adore the pattern, it is so perfectly vintage looking! Bell does makes some gorgeous cups!
And the casserole is stunning!
Hugs,
Terri

Zaa said...

OMG Beth ...How lucky you are to have a pileated Woodpecker..I love their musical tap,tap tap... I must admit that little head has a lot of power( ha ha)...We used to have one in Manitoba, but I haven't seen one for years.

Your ironstone casserole looks to be the perfect size for the upcoming Fall celebrations and it's such a lovely shape.

Your sweet little " Bell" cup and saucer completes the refreshing tones of an brisk Autumn day ..ENJOY ....Hugs

Kristy S. said...

Hi there Beth,

I have the same vintage casserole dish! I am wondering what the worth of that would be. I am looking to sell mine. I also have other vintage English teapots and tea cup sets as well.