I did buy the fabric from Mardens to make it and once I got home I started my plan. Here is the finished project and after you see that I will explain what I did. Click on it to see it bigger.
I decided to just machine applique them onto the base and did so using variegated threads to make it a bit more interesting. I included the batting before I did the stitching so it was actually being quilted at the same time as I was appliquing.
If you click on the picture to see the image better you will have an idea of what I did. I used a different stitch to make the stems on the leaves and used a light brown so it would show up as a stem.
By doing this I also cut back on quilting I might need to do.
Finally I knew I needed to "fill up" some of the open spaces so decided to use a pattern for an acorn. I printed that one out from Google Images as well. And I found a decorative stitch that I think looked almost like the edge off an acorn would look. So this is the result. I am happy with it.
And it is finished, bound and waiting for the fall to go on my dining room table,
In addition to that project, I also started and finished this little mat. I had seen some place mats like it and I wanted to see two things. 1. Could I make it and 2. Would I like them if I did in my own colors.
Well, not to just sit back and rest I am now working on a couple more projects I hope to be able to show
you in the next few weeks. More table runners.... I like them because they aren't such a big project and they are also easier to quilt.
Be sure to come back to visit next Tuesday for Tea Cup Tuesday. Not sure what I will have to show you yet. But I have a lot to choose from so it should be good.