Monday, March 11, 2013

Happy St. Patricks Day... almost a week early

                           Happy St. Patrick's Day.

     And Happy Tea Cup Tuesday.  This week  I am showing you a Chocolate Set I inherited from my grandmother.  It is obviously not a "tea set" but I thought it was appropriate since it features little shamrocks as the main trim.  And I suppose  it could be used for tea.  And since the cups are smaller than regular tea cups they could even be used for demi-tasse for coffee.  But what ever I use them for I truly enjoy them!

 

Back in my grandmother's day they often served chocolate when entertaining their friends.  This particular set is Limoges and was sold by a store in Scranton, PA which was near where my great grandmother lived before her sussequent move to Virgina.  I think therefore it might have been my great grandmothers before my grandmother's.  Or maybe a family member sent it to her.  Unfortunately I don't have anyone to ask.
   

Here is the mark where I learned about the store where it was sold............
  The green platter I am using under the set is a part of my own set of dishes (Riviera by Home Laughlin)  I have acquired a complete set of Riviera over the years.  They were made at about the same time that Fiesta was produced and by the same manufacturer.  As was typical of that time they often made different patterns to be sold at different stores such as Woolworth's, Grants or McCrory's.

Here is a close-up of the lid.


  Although  the chocolate set and the Riviera Platter are from my own collection, the cards and hankies are from my shop.  They are going to be used in a holiday display in my antique shop.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my chocolate set.  And that you will visit the other tea parties I am joining today and tomorrow. 

 

 http://artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com

http://www.marthasfavorites.com/

                                             Rose Chintz Cottage                                                
http://sandimyyellowdoor.blogspot.com/

  http://antiquesandteacups.blogspot.com/

 http://bernideensteatimeblog.blogspot.com/


9 comments:

Lavender Cottage said...

Quite an ornate chocolate set, pretty with the shamrock trim.
The vintage cards and hankies should enhance a St. Paddy's day vignette at your shop.

Beth said...

What a treasure your chocolate set is! So beautiful, Beth. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Antiques And Teacups said...

I LOVE your chocolate set! What a wonderful family heirloom. The cups and saucers go with it so well. Lovely! Love your t. Partick's decor!
Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Two Cottages And Tea said...

How special for you to have your Grandmother's beautiful chocolate set. Thank you for sharing with us and happy St. Patrick's day to you!
Nancy

Tea in Texas said...

Gorgeous Chocolate Set! It is so perfect for the St. Patrick's Day celebration with a cup of cocoa to warm you. I love the tiny shamrocks and you are so fortunate to have this beautiful antique set for it is a true family treasure.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Pam

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Beth,
Your chocolate set is a beauty with its shamrocks and ornate trim. A real treasure! Thank you for sharing and coming to tea. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Blessings,
Sandi

Linda @ Friendship Tea said...

Your chocolate set is so beautiful!! Thank you for sharing.

Terri said...

Hello Beth,
Your chocolate set is so romantic! And it is perfectly fine for T.T.! Chocolate is fine anytime : )
I love the delicate beauty and you captured it so well.
Hugs,
Terri

Veronica Roth said...

Hi Beth. My mother has that Limoges china! Wow, I've never seen it anywhere else. I'm so glad you have it. My daughter's name is Chloe but we call her clover and she is in love with clover patterns so my mother has promised her the set. I love the other happy little vintage bits from your shop. If I lived closer I'd be in every day. Have a happy St Patrick's day with your lovely set. :)