Monday, January 27, 2014

A 1940s Tea Party




Here I am again.  It is still quite cold out but we haven't had near the snow some areas have had so life pretty much goes on as usual.


For this week's tea party I started the planning when I found this little teapot wall pocket which I am using as a napkin holder.

 Then I just started collecting up all the things I could find that went with it.  I sell a lot of linens in my shop, especially 40s type so didn't have any trouble figuring out what to use.

The perky little red and white polka dot apron will be useful!


As will this  red and white basket pot holder.  Actually this item was usually made with two smaller round pot holders that fit inside the basket but they didn't come with this one.  And I wanted to include it anyway.

 And how about some nice floral dish towels.


 For the cup and saucer I picked this interesting Cat Tail pattern that was sold by Sears and Roebuck.


And here is its mark.....
I have known about Cat Tail china for many years and about the fact that Sears sold it in the 40s but I thought I would try to learn a little more about it to share with you.
The Cat Tail china was made by Universal China Company (Cambridge, Ohio) and distributed by Sears.  They were inexpensive and considered every day dishes.

Not only could you buy your dishes with this design but the Sears catalogs offered many other items with that design to make sure your kitchen was COMPLETELY coordiated.   They sold china, things like mixing bowls and canisters.  Also linens, glass ware and tin ware (called Pantry Ware)  such as bread boxes and trash cans were available.  AND you could buy a table and chairs set with the design as well.  I have seen a number of different things in this pattern over the years.  If someone was really industrious they could do their entire kitchen in the design.  It would be a fun and useful collection.
If you want to see more check out a sears catalog from that era.  I imagine there are some on line.

I got a lot of this information from The Encyclopedia of American Dinner ware by Jo Cunninham.


I hope you are enjoying this weeks Tea Cup Tuesday.   Here are links to some of the other sites.

 http://artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com

http://www.marthasfavorites.com/

 

Rose Chintz Cottage

http://sandimyyellowdoor.blogspot.com/

 

 

                                      http://www.antiquesandteacups.info/


  http://blog.bernideens.com





Be sure to come back on Thursday when I will be showing some of the sewing projects I am working on at present including The Fellowship of Flowers.

20 comments:

Vickie said...

That is a darling teacup & saucer. I remember my mother and grandmother ordering things from the Sears catalogues so many years ago. The toy catalogue was a favorite of ours for many years as we would make our Christmas wish lists from them. So many happy memories of family holidays come to mind with just the mention of Sears! :-)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Sears has always been wonderful for selling items with matching accessories. That cup n saucer is really cute and I love the apron. I adore polka dots! Thank you for coming to tea, Beth, and enjoy your week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Bernideen said...

Your red tea time presentation is darling and does look very l950's! I love it and it is perfect for Valentines Day too! So glad you shared your link!

Pamela Gordon said...

I enjoyed seeing your collection of vintage things from the 40's. That era had such pretty things. I hope you'll drop by and see my vintage post as well. Pamela

Martha said...

I love your 40s tea party! Love vintage things!

kitty said...

How fun to see your vintage times, Beth. I enjoyed learning about Sears' cat tail pattern.

Tisha Dolton said...

Love this tea party. Red & white is my favorite color combination (being a redwork embroiderer). I just love how you put all this together. Love the cat tail ware! So cute.

My Garden Diaries said...

What a fantastic selection of pieces you put together!! SO stunning in colors! And your blog is just lovely! I look forward to following along with you! Nicole

Sarah Lizzie said...

Oh you are a wealth of information!! I love the red and white theme for a kitchen....'tis so cheery and bright!! Love, love, love polka dots, and that flower basket oven mit...is so pretty!! What a wonderful tea party...I would love to sit awhile with you sipping tea from that pretty cup and have a li'l chat!!

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Love the floral tea towels, so vibrant in colour! That era was filled with wonderful colours. I collect vintage table linens, for their colours and prints.

Bookie said...

How interesting and I love all the red. I have a few 1950s tablecloths I have picked up lately but not much else in this vein. I am a blue and white person mostly, but I do love your red!

Terri said...

Fascinating post! I do love the style of your wall pocket. The tea cup too is so retro. Imagine having everything match perfectly in your kitchen! Sounds like the 50s to me. lol!
Hugs,
Terri

BECKY said...

Hi Beth! I'm here via Terri's blog at Artful Affirmations. I LOVE all your vintage items!! I especially love linens, and the red patterns, etc. Beee-u-ti-ful! :)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A 40s party is before my time but I think some of the patterns and material carried on for a few years. Cute red and white accessories for your tea this week Beth.
Sears catalogue was the place to shop when we were married.
Judith

Beth said...

Very fun post! Love the reds! Have a lovely week, Beth.

Deborah Montgomery said...

love the 40s, music, movies, fashion. thanks for sharing your pretty vintage tea party.

Veronica Roth said...

Oh my gosh, I just remembered that I saw those cups, just slightly different in Wallingford England. I took a photo of them and they are in my January 7th post. Love them. Actually contemplated buying them but Robert would have a fit if I left yet another tea set at West Cottage ad naffed off to Canada...lol. It's all good, I bet they'll be there next time. :)

Martha's Favorites said...

Love the Sears tea cup. I had never seen one before. Very cute. I am so glad you joined us this week for Tea Cup Tuesday. It is always fun to have you come by. Blessings, Martha

KathyB. said...

This was very interesting and also brought back memories of my childhood. Seems many of these items were in everyone's home, but then Sears was the ' go-to ' store with their catalogs being everyone's wish book. Thank-you.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Such an adorable tea cup and saucer! And I am loving the vintage tea towels...beautiful colors in your tea setting! Thanks for sharing with us! Happy weekend! Hugs, Poppy