Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Saturday Flea Market in January

 I want to thank those folks who signed up as followers of my blog, yesterday, at the Grow Your Blog Event.  It was fun to hear from so many different folks and to read all your comments and emails.  I also enjoyed visiting lots of other blogs that I did not even know about.  Thanks so much to Vicki at
 2 Bags Full.  



As I mentioned yesterday in my blog, I was going to attend a local flea market. It was sponsored by our local fire department and they hold several during the winter months.  Most of the vendors are regulars but some folks just use it like a yard sale.  You won't usually find high level antiques and collectibles but it pretty much runs the gamut 

The thing about flea markets is you NEVER know what you are going to find.  The first table inside the door sold Polish Potato bread!!!!!   Yummy!    Behind him were a couple of tables of pies, breads and such along with jelly and jam.  (I didn't take a picture of that table.)

 Here is a picture of a typical table of what I call "flea market miscellaneous.  


If you are a collector there are usually opportunities at these sales.  
Here are some examples of the offerings.

 And this person offered a scrapbook filled with vintage post cards.



Are you a doll collector?  There are usually some to be had.


And how about something a bit unusual....  a clothespin holder.  

These were quite popular in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

  I bought this pile of kitchen towels and such from one of the vendors to sell in my shop. I think most are from the 40s because they were certainly typical items from that time period.



These are just a few of things I saw.  You can buy children's and adults clothing, tools, kitchenalia by the "ton".  And pretty much anything else you can imagine. And there is almost always a kitchen type set up for coffee, sodas and snacks.

It is always fun to look for things you have never seen before.  Do you have a favorite thing to look for at a flea market?

Come back again on Tuesday for Tea Cup Tuesday.  I have already started planning what I will be showing.

7 comments:

Sharmayne said...

I have finally managed to get over to visit with you from the grow your blog party......looks like you have had a great time at the market,
Hugs sharm

Tisha Dolton said...

Love the tea towels!

SUGAR MOON said...

I stopped by for a visit and liked what I see so am now following. I will return to look in more detail. Visit me at sugarmoon56.blogspot.com

Sarah Lizzie said...

Oh my goodness, what a lot of treasures you found. I adore fossicking around at flea markets. Though my bag is always a li'l full after a visit to a flea market, my fave finds are old books with pretty bindings, pretty linens and vintage jewellery. So happy to have found your lovely blog!

kate steeper said...

How cheap is the album of postcards , i love the price comparisons from the States to the UK

Beth Laverty said...

The postcard album was priced at US $50. Sounds like a lot but there was page after page of cards.

EvalinaMaria said...

I would love to go to a flea market, nothing like that is here...