Monday, March 3, 2014

Tea for One


A few years ago my husband gifted me with this sweet little tea set..... for those times when I want to sit and have a quiet cup of tea.

It is a Royal Winton Grimwades  7 piece Breakfast Set..... complete with a toast rack.



I have often seen the Royal Winton mark on things and the additional "Grimwades" added to the mark. So today I decided to see what I could learn about it.  This is not the absolute answer but helped me on the way.



I first went to Wikipedia....  and learned the following:

Royal Winton is an English brand of earthenware and fine bone china tableware, made by Grimwades Limited, a Stoke-on-Trent based company founded by Leonard Lumsden Grimwade and his elder brother, Sidney Richard Grimwade, in 1885. 
In 1928, they produced the first of their Chintz pattern designs, for which the company has become famous.

 This set is not a chintz pattern.....  but still lovely I think with the soft mottled green finish.


 I checked out info from various search engines but really this was about the sum total of what I could learn in a quick look.  I may try to see if I have anything in any of my china books.

The set starts with a plate with the little indents for each of the parts....
Next I have added the toast holder in its proper place.............


and then the teapot..........





and the tea cup......

Here is a close up of the sugar and creamer..............


And finally the whole set together........





When I was looking around on ebay and other antique sales sites to see if I could find examples of this I discovered that some of the prices are HIGH, VERY HIGH.  Of course the highest prices are for the Chintz sets that are extremely popular no matter the style.

I never did find this exact set but I did find one in Pink. It was described as "mottled rose" so I believe this one might me "mottled Green."  You never know.

I hope you have enjoyed learning about this little set and that you enjoying  this weeks Tea Cup Tuesday.   Here are links to some of the other sites.

 http://artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com

http://www.marthasfavorites.com/

 

Rose Chintz Cottage

http://sandimyyellowdoor.blogspot.com/

  http://www.antiquesandteacups.info/


  http://blog.bernideens.com

 

Be sure to come back here next week for another tea party.  And check with me on Thursday or Friday when I will show you some progress on my latest Fellowship of Flowers projects.





























21 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

What a sweet tea set and such a thoughtful gift. I enjoyed learning more about it. I know you treasure it. Thanks for sharing it with us. Mildred

Liz said...

That is a very pretty set and such a lovely shade of green!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your breakfast set is fabulous, perfect for toast and tea in bed.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh, I love the freshness of the green, Beth. Reminds me of springtime. It's lovely and a splendid gift from your hubby. Thank you for sharing it with us and joining me for tea.

Blessings,
Sandi

Snap said...

I love your breakfast set. What a great find. My favorite color is green -- wonderful! Perfect for tea and toast. Enjoyed reading about the history. Happy Tea Day!

Beth said...

Your teaset is pretty. I find the plate with indentations fascinating.
Hugs, Beth

Ruth Weston said...

Hi Beth...you have a very collectible set has a mark which dates it from 1942-1951 in a type Royal Winton Grimwades called Mottled & Plain Coloured Ware which was very popular. It's hard to find a good condition whole set so you have a treasure! Thanks so much for linking your treasure to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Beth Laverty said...

Ruth, thanks for the info. I had seen parts of this set on ebay for a bit of money so figured the whole set would be worth a good bit. BUT it doesn't matter cause I am keeping it. My husband said he bought it when we were up in New Brunswick and didn't pay all that much. I didn't ask for specifics. But what ever, I love it!

kitty said...

Hi Beth,
My a wonderful gift from your dear hubby and it is perfect for breakfast. I have never seen a set like that and the shade of green is just so Spring-like. Thank you for the information on it.

Kim said...

How relaxing to be sitting propped up in a comfy bed, enjoying a spot of tea with some toast and jam, all served in that delightful tea set.

Susan Clayton said...

What a lovely gift! Anyone would be pleased to have it in their collection. Happy Teacup Tuesday!

Terri said...

Oooooh this is a gorgeous little tea set! The green is such a beautiful color. I have never seen one of these sets in just one color. I love how there are indents in the tray for each item. The little toast holder is adorable!
Hugs,
Terri

xinex said...

How sweet of your hubby to give you this lovely tea set. I love the color and the shape of the tray and the fact that it is a complete set with a toast rack. Just gorgeous!....Christine

Martha's Favorites said...

This tea set is amazing! I love it. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

The Charm of Home said...

What a wonderful tea set. I like that shade of green, it photographs really well. I love that toast rack! Hard to come by a toast rack especially with the whole set matching!
Sherry

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

This is an adorable breakfast set, and the colour is perfect for spring.

Karen said...

Hi Beth,
I loved seeing your green breakfast tea set. It really is perfect for spring and St. Patrick's Day. I am sure it is very costly... Royal Winton china is so expensive and beautiful! Thank you for visiting me. I hope that you have a wonderful week! Karen

Two Cottages And Tea said...

How sweet of your hubby to give you the lovely teaset! A wonderful treasure! Such a beautiful green for spring! And yes I think you would really enjoy the book in my post! Lots of pretty pictures of birds.
Hugs..Nancy

Bernideen said...

Yes - ebay has the reputation for being cheap but actually many things are quite high. I sell resale vintage cups and saucers and rarely are mine anywhere near what I see on ebay. Perception!
Your set is quite dear and to have all those pieces in tack. You have a lovely treasure and I am so glad you shared it at Friends Sharing Tea!

KathyB. said...

I think your set is lovely ! Not only because it appeals to me in so many ways, but because your husband gave it to you.

Micupoftea said...

Fascinating- I've never seen a set like this. Love that it includes a toast holder! Thanks for sharing. Happy March :)
Shawn