Friday, April 11, 2014

Flowers and a new toy

Spring is definitely coming along.  The temps are a bit milder.  And while walking up in our woods today my husband discovered these pretty little Crocus.  (what is the plural????)
     

On another note:

I do have a couple of modern day sewing machines. BUT I have become very interested in some of the vintage machines that are available out there.  They were made of METAL not PLASTIC and even after 50 or 60 years they still run strong if you take care of proper oiling and other maintenance.
So yesterday while out at a sale to buy things for my antique shop I came across this little machine.  JUST $10.00.   I couldn't bear to leave it.  So home with me it came.  It is what they call a Japanese Clone of the Singer 15 and was made in the early to mid 1950s.
I was able to look up an instruction booklet for the Singer  Machine that is so similar and have learned how to thread it and how to oil it.

So far it sews fairly decent.  I have to work on the tension a tiny bit but I think I have a keeper.

This picture was taken before I cleaned it up at all, just wanted to show it off quickly.  So what do you think?

Because Spring has arrived I have been spending time out in the gardens cleaning up from Winter's mess.  So I won't be doing as much sewing as I would like for another couple of weeks until I feel like I have things under control outside.  Of course when it rains I can stay in and sew.

I hope next week I will have another finished project to show you.

4 comments:

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Oh wow....what a find!! They don't make them like they used to, do they. How lovely that Spring has arrived in your li'l neck of the woods, all the pretty bulbs will be popping up their pretty li'l faces!!

My Garden Diaries said...

So lovely to see blooms isn't it??!! And your sewing machine is just fantastic!!!!

Parsimonious Perfection said...

I love your beautiful flowers, and the machine is absolutely wonderful! What a find! Thank you for sharing!