Monday, May 19, 2014

A simple child's tea party





I was out in my antique shop doing some cleaning and straightening and came across this little child's tea set that I had almost forgotten about.  I will have to put it out where someone can see it better.  I can't believe it hasn't been snapped up.  It is by no means in perfect shape as it was no doubt played with and loved by it's young owner.  But it is still useful and so cute.

ANYWAY....  I decided I would make up a simple child's tea party for this week's Tea Cup Tuesday post.   So here it is.
     This set was probably made right after WWII and the pattern was very similar to a very popular, at the time, grownup dish pattern called Golden Wheat by Homer Laughlin.  I don't have any at the moment or I would show you.


I even found a pretty little doily that fit right under the plate with the cake.

And here are closeups of the various pieces........



 And finally the mark.






My final picture today is sort of an update on the post I did this past Friday about the Robin's nest in my Rhododendron.   The night and day after I took the pictures of the nest we have a pretty bad rain storm and I was worried about the little family.  But I peeked through the window of my enclosed porch was able to take a picture of the the momma the next day when it was sunny and nice.  I was very relieved to see her there.

Thanks for joining me for tea today and hope you visit all the other Tea Time blogs as well.

I have joined with the following Tea Cup Tuesday Tea Parties.

Hope you will visit them too.

Be sure to come back next Tuesday for another Tea Party and join me on Thursdays or Fridays for my project updates.

20 comments:

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Helo Beth - lovely tea! LOVE the pattern! I do appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Beth, your child's tea set is really cute and you did a wonderful job featuring the pieces. Great shot of the robin sitting in her nest too. I do love the birdies! Thank you for sharing and coming to tea. Have a perfect day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I'm surprised the tea set is still available too and it was a cute idea to put it out for tea today.
Good luck with your mama robin and babies.

Kim said...

Beth, you must have the most serendipitous life, spending days in your lovely antique shop amongst all those lovely tea sets of yours and chatting to lovely customers. This is a cute li'l tea set. The photo of the li'l birdy sitting in her nest is so sweet....such a pretty robin.

My Garden Diaries said...

I am so relieved to see her there too! And you have inspired me to make a pretty tea party for my beans...I have yet to do it and think that they would just love it! What a gorgeous set! Happy week to you! Nicole xo

Terri said...

That is a sweet little tea set. Isn't wheat a symbol of something? Abundance? I am not sure.
Momma bird is back, yay!
Have a lovely day,
Hugs,
Terri

Denise said...

Sweet little set.Your place setting for Tea is darling.We don't have Robins out here in CA. I don't think.I do love bird watching these last couple of Years.I sit out on My patio every morning and enjoy those that visit Me. Blessings Denise

Elizabeth Lund said...

What a beautiful idea to share with the kids. I'll bet you have a great time. Have a wonderful day!

Karen said...

Hi Beth,
Such a pretty wee teaset. My great nieces and nephews would love it! So sweet! Your bird's nest and robin pic is so precious and springlike! Thank you for visiting me. Have a wonderful week! Karen

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Beth: I love this little set. My dear friend has the adult version. It is so cute. Have a wonderful week. Hugs, Martha

Bernideen said...

What a darling set. Do you have a shop behind your house? That is a cute child's teaset. Hope you sell it!

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

What a lovely blog! The child's tea set is enchanting, and the robin on her nest - my goodness you are so lucky to get to experience that up close. I must plant a shrub under my studio window so maybe I'll get lucky, too! By the way, I'm catching up on blog visits from Vicki's Grow Your Blog Party and I'm your newest follower! Cindy from TheCranesNest.com

Beth L. said...

My antique shop is in the "sort of" barn next to my house.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, I would love to have a little shop! I have a couple miniature tea sets! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a hello! Have a wonderful weekend!
Please come for a visit again soon!
Blessings, Roxy

Denise said...

What a great picture of the Robin, thank you for sharing that picture. And the tea set is very sweet also.

Diane said...

Wonderful post Beth, very pretty tea set and how fun to have a Robins nest that you can watch.

Hugs Diane

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love those little tea sets, I never had one as a child...But I have one now!! so glad the robin is doing well...Wonder what they do or where they go during a storm?

Carol

Beth L. said...

From my observation, they just sit there! We had heavy rain yesterday and when I peeked she was there.

Cindy said...

Lovely tea set, and the doily under the plate caught my eye right off. I often have tea parties with the girls and I don't have a complete set anymore - I should put that on my list to buy.

Beth said...

What an adorable tea, Beth! Enjoy the robins. I just love the birds too. We have a robin nesting in the light fixture by our front door. It's too high up for me to see into the nest, but I did see two little heads reaching up for food from Mama.