Friday, May 9, 2014

Decoupaging with napkins

In my antique shop I occasionally sell vintage hats and need things to display them on.  While looking at Totally Tutorials I found a new tutorial on the idea of making a pretty mannequin head.     Here is a tutorial for making a "flower head".   Click on the link to see her tutorial.




I made a similar thing a while back to use in my shop.





I made mine in a bit easier fashion.

 I used a product called "naplique" and some pretty pansy paper napkins.  I am sure you can find napkins that feature your favorite flower or other thing... how about tea cups....  If they seem a bit pricey.  Check with friends about getting together and sharing.  Or just ask if they have any left from an event.  I have  saved some from showers, birthday parties etc. that I have attended.  One is often enough for some projects. Two is what I usually need.  You can also use pretty tissue paper, it just isn't as absorbent as the paper napkins.

  Here are some of the napkins I have accumulated....

The product from the Aleen's glue line called Naplique is, of course, no longer made.  .  I imagine you can use Mod Podge or another similar product.   I think Aleene's may make a new product for paper.  I will have to check it out.

HERE IS A NAPKIN LIKE THE ONE I USED


To do mine I just used the top layer of the napkin and "ripped" up pieces to place randomly on the head.  By tearing carefully instead of cutting they tend to blend into themselves.  "Painting" on the decoupage medium and adding a bit of the paper at a time you carefully cover the idea.   I did save   three of the bigger pansy centers to make her eyes and mouth.   I think she turned out pretty cute.



I also did a pretty vase using this technique with paper napkins featuring over all pattern of
 geraniums.   I had it out in my shop and SOLD it.  I could have sold this head a few times but so far I haven't been willing.

I need to make more of those vases.  They really are pretty easy.  Time consuming but easy. Actually you could also cover lamp bases and other solid things.  Let your imagination go crazy.

To make a vase just find old ones at yard sales, or in your closet....  and cover away.  Takes something from ordinary to extraordinary.

And of course I looked a bit more on the internet and found this tutorial on using this technique on other items.
http://www.craftideas.info/html/paper_napkin_applique.html


Let me know if you try it.

No comments: