Monday, June 16, 2014

A salute to my pansies!

I have been enjoying the pansies in my garden.  We continue with not too terribly hot weather so they continue to thrive.  But I am sure the heat will be upon us soon and they will begin to fade.  Meanwhile though I shall enjoy them.  And today I went outside on my covered deck that we call the "pavilion" to enjoy a bit of tea with some of my pansy china.  And some nice banana bread I just made. 



                   These first pansies are the new "wave petunias" they just keep on coming during the cool weather.  BUT they like a lot of water.  The ones below are just the regular kind, bought in a flat of 12.  I have then in a couple of places.

If you are wondering about the glass "mushroom looking" thing on the edge of the picture, well that is what it is.  Maybe I will do a post about them soon.  I love to make art for my garden using glass plates and bowls!




Today's tea features a few of my pansy items.  I have been collecting them for many years so they are varied. 


I think this Elizabethan cup and saucer is so sweet and delicate looking.

This plate is hand painted.  The only mark on the back said "Nippon."

Isn't this little cream and sugar set adorable.  It almost looks like it might have come from a child's set it is such a small size.  But probably not.

Here is the link to the Banana Bread Recipe.  It is from one of my favorite cook books.... 
Beard on Bread  by James Beard.  I have used it for years and years.  Rather than just copy it out I found this link to his website with the recipe I use.  I should add here that I personally do not add the nuts but that is just personal taste.

           Thanks for joining me  today and hope you visit all the other Tea Time blogs as well.

I have joined with the following Tea Cup Tuesday Tea Parties.

Hope you will visit them too.

19 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Beth,
Your pansies are so pretty. Love the pansy teacup and your banana bread looks delicious! We are having very cool and rainy weather at the moment. My roses are tucked tightly within their buds and I don't blame them. Thanks for joining me for tea and have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Ruth Weston said...

Hi Beth. I have the little volunteer violas as well...our neighbor says they are weeds...but I love them! Your pansy teacups are lovely! And I can just smell the banana bread! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Snap said...

I love your pansy collection. Pansies are such a fun flower with their cute little faces. Happy Tea Day!

Tea in Texas said...

Your garden is so lovely with the pansies filling it with blossoms. The new type of pansy is so different but I love the hanging shape. Your tea table in the garden is just the place to enjoy tea. My favorite is the precious creamer and sugar with the pink accents and pansies. Have a wonderful week!

Pam

Prairie Patch Quilts said...

Love your display of Pansy's and I am sure it makes the Banana Bread all that much more enjoyable and tasty! Lovely.

kitty said...

Hi Beth,
The pansies in your garden are just beautiful and so are the ones on the teacups. Thank you for the link to the banana bread. Happy tea day!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your pansy teacup with the cheery faces is as pretty as the real plants in the garden. I'm off to check out the banana bread recipe, thanks for sharing it.

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Your Pansies are gorgeous - love your teacup and I could just imagine how wonderful the banana bread was - I do appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy

Kim said...

Pansies are such happy flowers with their kitten-like smiley faces. That tea cup and sugar and creamer set are just lovely. Your post has put a smile in my day!

Lorrie said...

Such pretty pansy teacups. Pansies were my grandmother's favorite flowers and I always think of her when I see them.

Bernideen said...

What a lovely tea cup and I have a few Elizabethan ones too. I think the other pieces sure go well with it. Lovely!

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Beth: I love pansies too. Your collection is beautiful. I especially love the sugar and creamer set. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

I love violas- they have the sweetest faces! Your china is so pretty! I got hung up on Ebay once looking at china like that. Most pansies and violas stop blooming when the extreme heat hits. They do like cooler weather.

Poppy said...

Hi Beth,

Both varieties of your pansies are very pretty! Love the colour! What a lovely teatime today, complete with pansies on porcelain and delicious home baked banana bread! Thanks so much for sharing!

Poppy

Beverly Kirk said...

Hey, you are a beauty! in cups, in style in simplicity.... Following you along!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

The pansies are lovely...both real and on teacups!

Two Cottages And Tea said...

Hi Beth, yes the teacups look the same! But made by different company's! They are lovely, though! My cousin brought over a large planting of pansy's and they are so cheery with their little faces! I enjoyed your pretty tea time so much!
Hugs, Nancy

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

What pretty pansies and teacups!

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

I love Pansies too! Ours have wilted from the heat, sigh - love your sweet teacup! I do appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy