Monday, November 10, 2014

A Tea Cup Pin Cushion and MORE!!


Veteran's Day or Armistice Day as it is called in some places, is a very important day for us to honor those who served, have served and given their lives for our freedoms.  It is an important day at our house as my husband is a retired Navy Pilot.  And my dad served in WWII.  An amazing site unfolded in London, England at the Tower of London to remember all this..  Here is a link to see for yourself..


And here is one of amazing pictures.............
 http://poppies.hrp.org.uk/wp-content/themes/poppies/img/page-installation/002.jpg


To begin I should report, for those that have been following  my health issues..... My cast has been removed and I am on the mend.  I will have to a lot of hand exercises and have a few P T  visits but I think things are now on their way back to normal.
   

 For this Tea Cup Tuesday I am going to show you something VERY DIFFERENT.  Here is a cup and saucer that I turned into a Pin cushion. 

The teacup had a few problems though nothing major so I didn't worry about this new use.  There are many ways to use your favorite tea cups that are suddenly not usable for the traditional cup of tea.
Check my Pinterest Page on the subject and you will see some of the examples I have found that I may use in the future.

And while on the subject of pin cushions I will get away from Tea Cups and  talk about all the other pincushions I seem to be unable to stop making!

I hadn't really thought too much about it until I finished this little project and took it up to my sewing room.  The project included a little pin keep and scissor keep, using vintage wooden spools... and made with wool felt.  I got the patterns from a magazine called Primitive Quilts and Projects.


 
When I went to put them in the sewing room I saw the other two pin keeps I had made in the last year or so... and realized they were all made using wool felt...  So now I have four.....  The crow and the square pin cushions were from patterns in the magazine called Create and Decorate.

   I do seem to need places to keep my pins.
 

Awhile back I made this pin cushion and bag set to keep on my ironing board.  So I guess it can be said I have enough pin cushions (keeps).... or then again maybe no.  I may find another pattern for a project I "need" to make.


Now it also must be said that since I have gotten back into cross stitch lately, especially the primitive style, I  have begun to make little "pillows" that they call  pin keeps.....  so you see it keeps on. I will talk about them another day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for joining me  today and I hope you will visit the other Tea Time blogs as well.

I have joined with the following Tea Cup Tuesday Tea Parties.

Most of these parties will be available each week. But check to be sure.

Hope you will visit them too.

13 comments:

Ruth W said...

A great collection of sewing notions...I agree about teacups with problems being used...it breaks my heart to see really gorgeous and valuable ones being broken and drilled and lost for their original purpose. But I have used a lot of chipped and otherwise slightly damaged ones a lot...because I can't bear to part with them! Lol! I am a teacup lover for sure! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
uth

Deborah Montgomery said...

Love your pretty little teacup pincushion. Perfect. I use one made from a cathedral window quilt square that my grandmother made years ago. Looks like you have a wonderful collection there.
I'm glad to hear you are on the mend. Best wishes for your PT.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Beth, you have a cute pin cushion collection. The teacup makes a really sweet one! PTs are worth their weight in gold. I have been going to mine on and off for almost two years now. Thanks for sharing and joining me for tea. Have a wonderful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Zaa said...

Ha Ha ..Such a sweet collection of pincushions.. and what a delightful way to salvage an unused teacup.. The little primitive daisy flowers is simply adorable... So happy to hear that you are on the mend. ENJOY your day !!!..Hugs

Amy at love made my home said...

Lots of lovely sewing things. I hope that your hand is back to full strength very soon. xx

The Victorian Girl said...

I am on a roll with making pincushions too! Especially the ones made with wool and have a primitive look. You can't have too many pincushions!

Kim said...

What a glorious photo of the red poppies. Today is Remembrance Day down here in Tassie. What a sweet vignette of your tea cup pin cushion. As I scrolled down your lovely post and my eyes spotted your cute as cute flower spool pin cushion, I must admit it made me smile. 'Tis very sweet! 'Tis wonderful that your hand is on the mend. Happy cross stitching!

kitty said...

I know you must feel so much better with your cast off, Beth! Hooray!!
Your teacup pin cushion is just adorable, as well as all your other sewing notions.

Snap said...

Your teacup pincushion is just precious. You have a nice collection. Hope your PT goes well. Happy Tea Day!

Bernideen said...

All your sewing creations are darling and I have one of those teacup pin cushion I just love. You did a darling one but the others are just as cute. I am so glad you shared your designs!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

The teacup pincushion is a good way to repurpose a cup and saucer and I like the others you've made too. Now that the cast is off I'm sure the physio will enable you to be mobile in no time.

Susan Clayton said...

Love the teacup pin cushion!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh how adorable! I love that sweet teacup pin cushion.
I know, I save my broken teacups for containing mint drops for tea time, small candy and even diet sugar little bags. Hubby always sands the handle if it was the case. I love these ideas.
I too love tool boxes and I will do mine come C'mas too.
Thanks for your sweet visit.
FABBY