Monday, November 3, 2014

My new Zinnia tea set

Watching the news and seeing all the snow pictures from this past weekend brings back memories of when we lived in Maine.  I don't miss it but do remember how much I enjoyed the mornings after a big snowfall.  It would be so quiet outside except for the snow plows off in the distance and everything was so clean looking. But right now I am happy to look outside and still see some pretty leaves on the trees!  And no doubt we will have our own snow soon enough.

The best news for me right now is that I am possibly getting my cast off tomorrow.  That will be a happy day!   I will report on that in my post next week.


MEANWHILE.............................

I found this set while visiting our favorite flea market.  It is a service for 12. And very complete. All sorts of serving pieces as well as the requisite place setting pieces.  This little tea party I am showing here uses just a few of the pieces   This particular pattern is called Sculptured Zinnia because the flowers are raised.  It is from Metlox Pottery... the Poppytrail Division.

Metlox Pottery was a California pottery.  You can read more about it at this site..
http://antiques.about.com/od/pottery/a/aa082104.htm

Sculptured Zinnia from 1964








Here I am using the salad plate to serve these tasty little blueberry strudel bites.  These are made by the bakery at our local Giant grocery store.  They do them in other fruits such as apple and raspberry but I like these the best.





And this is the mark on my plates. 


I did get a service for 12 but do not need that much.  So I imagine I will be selling some of the extra place settings  in my shop.  But for now I am enjoying  using at least some of it.

I have joined with the following Tea Cup Tuesday Tea Parties.

These may not be available every week so check to be sure.

Hope you will visit them too.


21 comments:

Kelly_Deal said...

Lovely tea set!

Ruth Weston said...

Love Metlox Poppy Trail! That's such a cheery pattern! I used to live in snow country as well...and miss the soft, quiet snow falling...but not the shoveling and snow plowing! Glad you are getting the cast off! WooHoo!!! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Glad you are getting the cast off, Beth! I made my cornbread just for snacking on but we do enjoy it with a variety of dishes. I like both the sweet cornbread with maple syrup and the more savory kind which I have this week. Both is tasty with a cup of tea.
The Metlox Poppy Trail set is very bright and cheerful. It looks like a happy pattern. We will be getting our own snow soon enough. I would love to be a southern girl for the winter months. Thank you for joining me for tea and enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Bernideen said...

Yes - that is so cute and reminds me of the 1970's a lot! You will have such fun with that set! Perfect for fall too.

Bernideen said...

Also, I forgot to say I am glad you are getting that cast off soon and the hand is healing!

Snap said...

Lovely sculptured zinnia tea set and perfect for fall. Fun find! Happy news about getting the cast off! Happy Tea Day!

Beth said...

I like your zinnia tea set! Very pretty for summer and fall. Your strudel looks delicious. Glad you are getting your cast off.

Amy at love made my home said...

Gosh your china was a good find. I hope that all goes well with getting your cast off. xx

Kim said...

You just keep coming up, week after week, with the most gorgeous of tea sets. The Zinnia set is so cheery; perfect for a spot of tea on a Fall day. I must say that strudel looks rather delish. So happy your cast is coming off, then you will be able to enjoy a little stitching.

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What a pretty pattern on your tea set. It is nice that you could find the whole set! Glad you will be getting the cast off soon!
Nancy

Martha's Favorites said...

I love Poppytrail Pottery. It was one of the very first things I collected. Your set is so pretty. It feels "happy." Hope you have a great week. Blessings, Martha

Mom Wald said...

What a FABULOUS set! I have never seen the Zinnia, not even in a book. This is so exciting! I have been coveting a Metlox Strawberry creamer and sugar for a while, and now I think a set like yours would be divine. YOU are one lucky gal!

kitty said...

Oh Beth, your Poppytrail pattern is so pretty and perfect for Fall. I love the raised design and the colors remind of the 70's.
I hope your cast comes off today. Won't you feel free and light?

The Charm of Home said...

I love this pattern. Very cheerful and perfect for a quite spot of tea.
Sherry

xinex said...

What a beautiful set. The colors are perfect for this season....Christine

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

How good it will feel when the cumbersome cast is gone!
You don't very often see a teacup with a raised pattern so your find of the zinnia tea set was a good one.

Mom Wald said...

I just had to come look at your set again. It is so very lovely!

Deborah Montgomery said...

Beautiful set Beth; it is so charmingly retro, and perfect for fall.
I'm sure it will feel wonderful to get your cast off.

Karen said...

Hi Beth,
Your Sculptured Zinnia china pattern is such a perfect colour for fall. The pastries look yummy. I am so pleased that you are getting your cast off. What a relief for you to be able to move freely again. Take care, Karen

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

Beth,

You really scored with this set- an entire place for 12? WOW- that's unheard of usually. Well done- and perfect for fall. Be a nice set for Thanksgiving, warming up a tablescape with the right runners and centerpieces!

Just wanted you to know that you are the winner of my extra copy of an old Victoria Magazine! I will just need your address, so send via email when you can. : - ) Thanks for your visit and for entering.

~Michele from The Nest at Finch Rest

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Pretty tea set! The strudel bites look yummy! I'm hoping that the snow stays far away for a long time!