Sunday, December 7, 2014

apple cider tea

 As we are heading to winter in our part of the world I thought I would find a tea drink that also had an added treat.  I found this one at the Apple Institute website under their recipes heading.  You don't have to go there because I am giving the recipe right here.  However, you still might want to check it out because they have a LOT of other interesting recipes.

 

       The cup and saucer I am using today is from Homer Laughlin, called Riviera.  It was produced about the same time as Fiesta and in similar colors.  I read somewhere that they sold Fiesta at one type of store, maybe Woolworth's and Riviera at another... maybe Grants.  I don't know for sure.  We have a complete set of the Riviera that we have collected over the last 30 years or so.  All in green though it did come in lots of other colors such as blue, yellow, orange and cream.  We have even found some of the unusual serving pieces.  Maybe I will feature them here someday.

       Because my husband always buys cider for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners we usually have some.  When we lived in Maine we even used to make our own because we had an abundance of apple trees on our property.  But for now he likes the cider he can get at the local Weis supermarket.  Any good cider would do in this case. And I am using Red Rose Tea as the basic ingredient for this.

SPICED CIDER TEA

1 qt. (4 c.) boiling water
3 tea bags
1/4 c. sugar
2 c. Apple Cider
cinnamon sticks

Add tea bags to boiling water. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Add apple cider and reheat. Pour into mugs. Add a stick of cinnamon to each. Serves 6.

 If you just want a single cup or two for yourself I think you can heat enough for one or two cups, and just use about 1/4 cup of cider for each cup you make.

I have joined with the following Tea Cup Tuesday Tea Parties.

        These may not be available every week so check to be sure.

Hope you will visit them too.

15 comments:

Deborah Montgomery said...

This sounds delicious. I find apple cider too sweet, so mixing it with tea sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I hope your hand is healed completely now.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh, this sounds delicious, Beth! Thanks for sharing the recipe. It would be a treat instead of plain old apple cider. Thank you for joining me for tea and enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Beth said...

Hi Beth, Your tea sounds good. I haven't had any apple cider in quite sometime. I like the Riviera china; when I initially saw it, I was thinking it was Jadeite but I can see it is different.

kitty said...

The spiced cider tea sounds wonderful for a wintry drink, Beth, and I'm sure it smells so good,too.

Amy at love made my home said...

Great idea!! xx

Kim said...

Mmmm.....spiced cider tea sounds rather delish. Love that pretty tea cup and saucer. Love, love, love the shape of the saucer!

Ruth W said...

I LOVE spiced cider, so this looks great! Love the bright green teacup. Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

The spiced cider tea sounds wonderful! Happy teatime!

Mom Wald said...

What a fun recipe. I cannot tell you how much I love, love, love the photo of your Riviera. Love IT!

Terri said...

Hello Beth! Lovely to visit you : )
Your HL tea cup set is wonderful, and I imagine it holds the heat well. The entire set must look incredible all out at once on a table. I love the coloring too.
Mmm, cider tea sounds just right for our chilly days here.
Have a wonderful holiday season!
Hugs,
Terri

Martha's Favorites said...

Love that tea cup! The cider sounds wonderful. Have a great week. Thanks for joining the party. Blessings, Martha

Karen said...

Hi Beth,
Your Riviera green teacup is such a gorgeous shade of green and looks so perfect for Christmas with the beautiful red tablecloth. You are putting me in the mood for Christmas. The smell of apple cider is so beautiful! Enjoy the season! Karen

Bernideen said...

So glad you shared that wonderful recipe!

KathyB. said...

With all the fancy teas in abundance & easily available these days, my favorite black tea is still red rose, and when I need a little something extra it is Red Rose with any good mint teabag added to the pot. I think I would very much like this apple cider tea during the holidays.

I love the teacup and have never heard of this company before !

Beverly Kirk said...

Adorable tea setting and recipe!