Monday, May 4, 2015

Serviettes and Nappies



          While reading the responses to my last weeks post....  my Australian friend referred to what we in the US call napkins as "serviettes".  My Canadian cousins also call them that.




  So that got me to thinking about another item that has a different name elsewhere. One such word (or words really) is Fruit "Nappies."  My Canadian cousins, at least the ones in New Brunswick, call the small small bowls, as pictures below, fruit nappies.  From what I could find definition wise, in this context, they are small bowls used to hold fruit and often were sold with a larger fruit bowl.
                       Here is a picture of my favorite fruit set.


I have other small bowls that are similar in size that we use to hold dipping sauce, small fruits and other side dishes.  We now call them "nappies" at our house too.

Even though I have given examples from English Speaking Countries the words are not the same. I think that is interesting.

I enjoy hearing and reading the different terms used around the world for various things.  These two, in particular, are certainly useful when talking about tea parties.  Are there others???

Walking about the garden today I discovered these Vibrant red tulips hiding behind a bush and just HAD to take a picture.




I hope you are enjoying a cup of tea today......

             Here are the tea parties I will be joining this week.  Hope you will visit them too.

Remember, these may not be available every week so check to be sure.



8 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Beth, your fruit set is gorgeous and the napkin rings are adorable! Nice to see your pretty tulips! Thanks for joining me for tea and have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Kim said...

Isn't language a fascinating thing. I get quite a kick out of discovering what terms people from different parts of the world use. Here in Aussie we refer to nappies as being what others call diapers...fascinating! As for your fruit set, Beth, it is lovely. The rose pattern is gorgeous. Love your red tulips....looks like Spring is well and truly skipping around in your li'l corner of the world.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Th napkin rings are so pretty for tea time and I do love your pretty set of fruit bowls, Beth.

Parsimonious Perfection said...

I love comparing and contrasting the differences and similarities of cultures...especially in regard to linguistics! Your pieces are such lovelies!

Margie said...

Interesting! I've seen those little dipping bowls but I didn't know that they were called "nappies".

Bernideen said...

I can sure see why that would be a favorite! Perfect for strawberries with whipped cream on top. I am so glad you shared!

Martha's Favorites said...

Beth: Beautiful dishes and the napkin rings are just perfect. Have a wonderful Mother's Day. Blessing, Martha

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

How nice to have a set of fruit bowls. I've never heard of these bowls referred to as nappies. My only knowledge of the word nappies means diapers. :0 (My relatives live in Ireland.)
It is fun to learn "new" words in English when you travel.
Striking red tulips!
~Nora