Sunday, December 20, 2015

Getting ready for Christmas




I can't believe how quick Christmas has come this year.  Also this has been the warmest Christmas season I can remember in years.  (not counting the years we lived in Puerto Rico and some Southern states.

I finally got the tree up... yes it is artificial but at this point in my life it is what I prefer.  When we lived in Maine it would NOT have been appropriate since we could just go out in our woods and get one fresh!!!



 A very large majority of the ornaments on the tree are made by me or as part of various ornament swaps in which I have participated over the years.    This year I did some cute little wool ornaments that were freebie patterns from Trish Harriman at Attic Heirlooms in Damariscotta, Maine. 
 Two Snowmen, a star and a chickadee.  There are also close ups of some of the others I made over the past few years.






Here is one of my favorite Christmas tea cup sets with a few other Christmas  decor things.
  

And here is the centerpiece I remade using base of my Thanksgiving centerpiece I received from my daughter this year.  I liked the basket so am re using it for this.



https://ganong.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CB_Package-768x768.jpg
This is a picture from the Ganong website

I usually do a bit of baking about this time of year so we can have cookies when folks drop in and of course for ourselves.  An absolute family favorite came about quite by accident awhile ago.  I may have talked about it here before, I don't know.

I made some sugar cookies and frosted them with my favorite frosting, cream cheese.  At that time I didn't have any "sprinkles" or other "decor" to pretty them up.  But then I remembered I had some really good candies we had purchased on a recent visit to Canada.  So I smashed it up and used it on top of the cookies.  Now that may not sound too good.... however...........  it is scrumptious.

The candy is called Chicken Bones and is produced by New Brunswick, Canada Candy Maker  GANONG.  The name "chicken bones" doesn't seem to fit these that well.  But they have been making them for 130 years so I guess the name doesn't matter..  Since we only get up to Canada once a year or so I finally had to break down and buy some mail order.  Now I do it fairly often.  MUST get my "fix"                                

So here is the details from the company website.......   GANONGs
and here is the site to learn all about the Chicken Bones....... .click here

Here is a picture of on of the bags of Chicken Bones I recently purchased.
 The next picture shows how I crushed up the pieces to make the topping.
 Here are the basic sugar cookies..............
 frosted with cream cheese frosting...........
 And then dipped, upside down in the topping......................

 And here is one batch...............


           They are beyond yummy.  I don't dare make them very often or I would be in trouble!

      Before I sign off today I want to wish all my followers and readers a very Merry Christmas.

 (Note: The postcards pictured today are from The Graphics Fairy whose link in is in my side bar)

I am joining with the following Tea Parties and blog parties.

  These may not be available every week so check to be sure.

Hope you will visit them too.



 

18 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Beautiful. Love the handmade ornaments, and the cookies are so pretty with the crushed candy. xoox Su

Amy at love made my home said...

You really have some beautiful ornaments for your tree! Happy Christmas! xx

Bernideen said...

Beth:
Those cookies do look dangerously delicious! Pass them down! Or is that up or over? Anyway, your tree is really cute and that is a lovely cup and saucer! Hope you have a wonderful week and Merry Christmas.

Kim said...

My you have a lot of lovely ornaments, Beth. I would imagine there are so many happy memories surrounding these. Your tree is filled with the festive spirit. The Christmas tea cup and saucer are pretty....perfect for a cup of tea with one or two or......of those delicious cookies. Wishing you a lovely Christmas. Xx

Bernideen said...

Beth:
Once again - I am so glad you shared this!

Snap said...

The cookies do look dangerous (and yummy)! Love your pretty handmade ornaments. I love to embroider and think I'm going to start on some red-work ornaments for next year. If I start in January, maybe I'll have some done! Merry Christmas!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Beth,
Your tree looks so pretty with all of those handmade ornaments! The cookies look delicious!
Wishing you and yours a blessed and happy Christmas!
Gina

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Ha! Chicken Bones; of course! We always had them growing up and my mother and Hubby love them and have to have them every Christmas. There is a big bag now waiting for Hubby to open on Christmas morning. They really do pretty up your cookies and the teacup is lovely. Your ornaments make a charming tree, Beth! Thank you for sharing with us and Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

Blessings,
Sandi

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Beth, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!
Love the old fashioned postcards in the beginning and end of your blog post.
I really admire the work and love that you put in these handmade Christmas ornaments, each one is therefore so special and is worth treasuring.
Your red Christmas tea cup is extraordinarily beautiful. I would love to drink my tea from that one :-)!
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Christina

Parsimonious Perfection said...

Your handmade ornaments are so charming! We always put ours up Christmas Eve, all the ones the kiddos made, ones we have collected over the years. Your plaid topper is gorge too. I've never heard of 'chicken bones,' but I'm intrigued! Thank you for sharing!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Love the old fashioned postcard and have a few real ones that I always forget to bring out. Your handmade ornaments are charming, love homemade anything. I love plaid anything and can't seem to get enough of it. Don't think I've heard of chicken and bones either. Thanks for stopping by and wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Beth's, your handmade ornaments are just beautiful! I think I remember you mentioning the chicken bones before. They make for such a pretty addition to your cookies. I also love your pretty teacup! Merry Christmas blessings to you!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oops, my iPad typed the "Beth's"!

Margie said...

Looks like we'll be having a green Christmas here with temperatures in the double digits (!) on Christmas Eve and Day! We've always had an artificial tree which we usually put up in late November. I love how the majority of your cute ornaments came from ornament swaps (our fellow bloggers sure are crafty!). I also like your red teacup. Even though I'm from Canada, I've never seen the Chicken Bones candy...will have to keep an eye out for it! Merry Christmas, Beth!

Ruth W said...

Wonderful! I love your pretty trees and what a wonderful job on the ornaments. Your teacup is gorgeous! And the cookies are perfect! That's a saver! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Ruth

Valerie CottageMakingMommy said...

Beth it all looks so pretty and yummy. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog. Merry Christmas.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Beth,
Thanks so muchf or stopping by!! Love the Trees and the cookies look so yummy!!

Hugs,
Deb