Monday, January 11, 2016

A pretty teacup and an adventure on a COLD winters Day



 I am starting today's post with some pictures of a cup and saucer set that seem quite appropriate for January.  The set is called "Winter" and is made by Duchess China.  It is so pretty and I think it definitely lives up to its name.



When writing my post, as I often do, I decided to do a bit of a search on line to learn more about the company called Duchess China.  CLICK HERE for an interesting website that tells a bit about it and its history and then there is a link to the actual modern day website for Duchess China.
 To change the subject quite a bit, I wanted  to share an "excellent adventure" my husband and I had this past week. We went to a nearby town in search of record players, the vintage, windup kind.  We were pretty sure the guy we had met had a "few."  WELL..................  He had way more than a few..........

I wish now I had taken some pictures of the whole floors full (there were three floors) but I didn't.  I did take a few pictures of individual ones. I will show them in a bit.

The building was old, and if someone had the money to restore it, it would be amazing.  Mostly now it is so full of the record players you could barely see the beauty that was hidden.  There had to be 50 or so very vintage and antique record players  on each floor.  And interspersed were boxes full of old vinyl records.

It was very cold.... inside and out but that didn't stop us.  I did however wish I had had the forethought to bring myself some hot tea in a thermos to ease the cold.

Here are pictures of a few of the older  Edison Brand players........



 He also had a record player that I liked but he seemed reluctant to talk about selling it.  So I didn't take a picture.  But the discussion will just be tabled for another day.  I just imagine sitting in my living room and listening to old records playing on it....  Who knows............

The drive home was pleasant as the car heated up and we began to thaw out..............

  I hope you enjoyed our little adventure.  There are amazing treasures out there if you just ask around.  And it was a fun and rather different way to spend a very cold winter day.
I hope you will all visit me again next week.  You just never know what I will be showing.  Or talking about.


I am joining with the following Tea Parties and blog parties.

  These may not be available every week so check to be sure.

Hope you will visit them too.




16 comments:

Sylvia said...

I do love your "Winter" teacup, it is, as you said, perfect of this season.
Up until a few years ago, I had a collection of old records that I had kept since I was a teenager. I wish I had kept them and searched for a record play so I could enjoy them in my "olden" age. I do have some cassette that are in my car now to donate to the Salvation Army, after reading your post maybe I'll get them out and start looking for a 'vintage' cassette player.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Your "Winter" teacup is such a pretty pattern, and it must be fun to sip tea from, Beth.
Your adventure with your hubby sounded like a fun day for the both of you to share.
Happy Tea Day!

Bernideen said...

Dear Beth:
This is a very interesting post. First, yes, I have that cup and saucer that I use at Christmas time and you are so right - perfect for all winter. I am going to follow the link and see what I can learn. As for the old wind up record player. It was a very hot day Christmastime day in Texas many years ago and we walked into an antique shop in Montgomery, Texas. My husband started looking at an old Stratford one from Ashland, Ohio. It came with records - including WHITE CHRISTMAS. That did it for my husband. We keep it in our dinning room and always crank for Christmas meals. Very fun! Thanks for sharing about your adventure and the place where you saw all these.

Amy at love made my home said...

We have an "old" old record player like those that you showed, and we also have a "new" old record player that my husband uses quite a bit. Playing vinyl is all the rage again! xx

Amy at love made my home said...

p.s. I realise that saying "all the rage" makes me very old!! xx

SpicingUpIdaho said...

A beautiful tea cup... winter is certainly a wonderful time to enjoy your tea cups! Sounds like you had a wonderful day exploring the old record shop... we have a friend who has old records from the 1900s and he likes to play them for us when we visit him. Great memories! Have a wonderful day :)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Those old record players are wonderful! Funny how things change! A number of years ago, they claimed the new CDs were the way to go because they had a better sound. Now they are claiming the old vinyl records have a better sound. Your Winter teacup is very pretty and yes, perfect for the wintertime. Your trip to the shop where he sold the record players was a nice outing for you. Thanks for sharing with us, Beth.

Blessings,
Sandi

Margie said...

What a lovely teacup! Thank you for sharing the info on the Duchess company. I have a set of poinsettia teacups by Duchess so I'm curious to learn more about the company.

Kim said...

Those wind up record players are very cool. How lovely that would look sitting in a corner of your home. Perhaps if you visit again, he will relent and sell you one. Pretty tea cup, Beth. It is perfect for a cold Winter's day.

Snap said...

Your Winter teacup is lovely. I always enjoy learning something new -- the Duchess company today. Your adventure looked like fun. All those "players"!!! Happy Tea Day!

Kathy said...

Ah, memories . . . of my Great Uncle Jimmy. He had a picnic grove on some property he owned and we would have reunion picnics there when I was young. In his pavilion was an old Victrola he used to wind up and play for us. I remember how thick the records were.

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Beth,
What a lovely teacup for this time of year. Fun adventure you took us on, sounded like a fun time, even though it was cold!
Thanks so much for your recent visit to my blog and so glad you like my hallstand.
Have a great day,
Gina

The Charm of Home said...

That is a lovely pattern of teacup! My Dad had an old player that played these records too.

Ruth W said...

Love the Winterteacup...the Hellebores, Christmas Roses are perfect! And how fun the old record players are! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Pretty tea cup....I can't even remember the last time I heard a record being played on a record player!!

Karen said...

Hi Beth,
Your Winter teacup really is pretty. I love vintage record players and would love to have one. I still have my collection of records in the garage. Happy Tea Time Dear Beth! Karen