Monday, January 4, 2016

New Years and Resolutions


 I am sitting here drinking a "cuppa" of my favorite tea... Earl Grey Vanilla....  apparently available only in Canada.  At least that is the only place I have found it.  (I always buy up a supply when we go up there!!  And for today I am using one of my favorite everyday cups..............  It isn't a fancy bone china cup.  It is a simple pottery mug made by Churchill, England.   It is from a series of cups given out at Irving Oil Gas Stations around New Brunswick, Canada  (and maybe other provinces that had Irving Oil Gas Stations at that time, back in the 70s or 80s.  I forget which.  I have some of them and use them every day for coffee and tea when I don't want to sit down and be formal.
 There was a series of 8 Farm House Scenes  and at the moment I don't have all the different ones.  But they featured one with a scene of a farmhouse showing a number of different farm animals and fowl.  Then on each of the other seven they featured each one of those....  The one pictured above is obviously the chicken.  There was a cow, horse, duck, goose, sheep, chicken and maybe a pig.  I don't have the 7th one and don't remember that well.  But it seems logical.  I did an internet search just now to see if I could find a picture of the farmhouse.  I did but it didn't show all of it.  At any rate I learned they must be getting rare because I could only find a few for sale and they were getting pricey I thought.  Anyway.  Here are the ones I have.


On another note...............
I recently participated in a tea swap with an on line swap group called SWAP-BOT.  I have done lots of art type swaps with the group over the years but this was the first for tea.  Each person (2) sends you 4 different teas.   The first little package arrived today........

Except for the constant comment I have never tried any of the others so it should be a little adventure.


        ..................................   And SO A NEW YEAR BEGINS............


We all like to start the New Year with a clean slate.........  and some resolutions.  If I can get through January keeping the resolutions going I always feel like I have made a major accomplishment.

Well...........   last year my resolution was to USE UP!!!  Art supplies, fabric and what ever that was sitting around unused.   And I am happy to say I actually did keep one of those resolutions.....  I vowed to NOT BUY ANY MORE FABRIC and to USE UP WHAT I HAD..........  so I got going, organized all my half started projects, added a couple of new ones and started sewing.  I ended up FINISHING twelve projects!!!  (Now yes I still have a few more..........  but I did what I set out to do!
No new fabrics purchased!  And found (mostly free on line) patterns to bust my STASH.  That felt good.  I want to do it again this year!  A couple of months ago I showed some of my finished projects here on the blog.
     Here is the link to see some of them plus other quilting posts I have done.......  CLICK HERE....


In addition I made myself a promise that I would NOT buy any new art supplies.  That was a little harder as I occasionally run out of glue, paint or something else I THINK I must have.......    But over all I think I succeeded except for colored Pens and Pencils because I did get caught up in the Coloring Book trend.  But I didn't buy any other crafting supplies except some glues since that is something I actually use up!

I am hopeful that I can continue on with this.  I now have a notebook developed over the past few months where I have listed and printed out instructions of projects I have underway.  I am hopeful I will be able to finish another huge group of projects this year without adding to the pile of UFOs.  I am adding some instructions to the notebook for projects to help me use up my supplies and fabrics... so we shall see!

Because of the popularity of Personal Planners and free printables for them I have found appropriate pages for this notebook.  I am fairly certain I will be able to continue this all.  Pinterest is the place to start if you are interested in planners, organizing info and more!  Of course once you get to Pinterest you may find it hard to break away!!!!!

Is there anyone else out there trying to do this?  I would love to hear your ideas on the subject.

I hope you will all visit me again next week.  You just never know what I will be showing.  Or talking about.


I am joining with the following Tea Parties and blog parties.

  These may not be available every week so check to be sure.

Hope you will visit them too.

17 comments:

Sylvia said...

I haven't seen any "Earl Gray Vanilla" either, but I do like the Constant Comment tea.
Any day of the year is good to change some of our habits, I think you did good.
Have a happy one!

allthingzsewn said...

You're the first person that I have heard that even came close to keeping last years resolutions. Congratulations. Mine are the same as yours this year and yes I journal.
There is something about writing things down that makes it stick in my head better and when it does not, walla, there it is easy to find. I even have to keep notes about what bloggers need prayer about what, or who lives on a ranch in what state and who just had baby goats. Sometime I just get confused with who goes with what when I first meet a new friend. And that is a whole nother story. And I'm not going there today.
I hope you do as well this year as you did last year and I'm sure you will, You have already established the habit.
Enjoy your day
Tonia

Ruth W said...

We use mugs a lot around here as well...my husband prefers them...a bigger cuppa! Love yours, they're blue and white! My resolution is to do some more eliminating of things I'm not using anymore...hobbies I no longer do...so someone else can. Simplifying is a good word! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

We also use a lot of mugs around here. I actually had a few of those farm mugs at one time. I think some got broken and the remainder I gave away. Sometimes we have too many mugs in the cupboard so it's good to clear out those we don't really use a lot. I haven't actually given too much thought to plans for the new year as I am recuperating from a very busy holiday. But I will get to it sooner or later. I do know that decluttering is high on the list this year. I like to be organized and it is healthy to set some goals. Thank you for sharing with us, Beth, and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Blessings,
Sandi

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope that you keep enjoying your using up! It sounds as though you are doing really well with it! xx

Bernideen said...

Dear Beth:
I participate in the Face Book Group "Afternoon Tea Across America" and we have card swaps and include 1 teabag. It is very fun and like you I enjoy using them. Thanks for sharing your swap!

Margie said...

Happy New Year, Beth! Earl Grey is one of my favourite blends too so I always like to try out different twists on this classic blend. I was surprised to read that Earl Grey Vanilla (by Tetley?) is only available in Canada. I'm tempted to try it, but I'm currently on a tea diet. I'm trying to use up my tea stash haven't purchased any new teas since October (YEAH!), but I still receive new teas from family and friends. Tea swaps are a fun way to try out new teas without committing to a full package.

Terri said...

Hello Beth, those are great mugs. I love to use mugs when I am reading so as not to spill as I am not paying attention but drawn into a story! lol. I too made a resolution last year to use up and not buy more fabric, or art supplies. I did pretty good, not %100 though. I was behind on cleaning projects I had promised myself to do, but did get several done this week that had been on the back burner for ages. That feels good. You did very well. Good luck this year too : )
hugs,
terri

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Good job on the resolutions - here's to another successful year. I have finished up just about everything I've started - and I've been good about not starting anything new - so I'm ok in that area. My plans for this year is to learn some new things - not necessarily crafts - but maybe just techniques.

Love the mugs - they are just perfect for a good cup of tea.

The Charm of Home said...

Oh my! I so need your last years resolution. I just went out and bought a hoard of stuff to make beaded bracelets! I am hoping they are easy to make as the YouTube videos make them look! Happy New YEar!

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Earl Grey vanilla.....Boy, does that sounds good!!
I loved reading about what you accomplished and what you set out to do last year! Good for you!! Since I just went part time at the end of August, there is still a lot that i need to get caught up on but projects and going through supplies is definitely one of them!
Thanks for stopping by and Happy New year!!

Hugs,
Deb

Two Cottages And Tea said...

Your set of mugs are so pretty! You sure have alot of new teas to try! How fun! Happy New Year to you!
Nancy

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I like your set of mugs, Beth. I use a teacup in the morning and mugs in the afternoon and evening. What fun to do a tea swap. Constant Comment is the only one I've tried of those, too.
Congratulations on keeping your resolutions from last year. I should try to do the fabric one for sure!
Happy New Year blessings to you!

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi I love your set of mugs. They are so cute. Congratulations on keeping your resolutions last year. I have going to try to do the same thing. Happy New Year. Blessings, Martha

Karen said...

Hi Beth,
Your blue and white mug is very pretty. I also am impressed with your projects - love the quilts that you have made. So beautiful! Blessings, Karen

Mrs.T said...

Those mugs are so pretty and unique. The teas look yummy too. My son-in-law loves the Hot Cinnamon Spice tea. He got a big box of it for Christmas!

Art and Sand said...

I love the story of your mug and that they were a gas station giveaway. I remember my mother using really cute flowered jelly jars as glasses for our orange juice each morning.

Like you, my 2015 goal was to use what I had rather than buying more stuff. I did a pretty good job of it, but I need to continue using up supplies so that I can see the bottom of my sewing cabinet.

Thanks for Sharing Your Cup!