Monday, January 25, 2016

Snow and more snow



I am continuing on today with some blue and white china from my collection.  This is from the Liberty Blue Collection which was given out in grocery stores in about 1975.  I was not living in the continental US at that time but was living in Puerto Rico where my husband was stationed with the Navy.  So I didn't get in on it until later.   

I found the following quote on line about the china........... It was at a site that sells a book about Liberty Blue.
"Blue and white ironstone dinnerware has been collected for many years, and the introduction of the Liberty Blue pattern in 1975 by Enoch Wedgwood of England, with its fifteen different historic scenes of colonial America, brought forth keen interest. Here the Old North Church, Minutemen, West Point, Independence Hall, Mount Vernon, and many more historic sites are shown. The Liberty Blue promotion coincided with America's Bicentennial celebrations, causing more people to become interested in owning a set for themselves." 
 Each piece, or in this case, a set, features a scene from American History.  This one was the Ride of Paul Revere.  I have most of the set and will feature others at another time.
 It is a really nice collection to have if you like Blue and White China.




 And then there was the SNOW.......................



 For the past week all the weather men in our area were reporting on the big blizzard that might be heading our way.  Well, I wouldn't call what we got a "blizzard" because there wasn't much wind... at least not yet.  The snowing has stopped and we got a lot, at least a foot I think.  My hubby and our neighbors had the "fun" of going out and "playing" in it.  We have had many worse storms while living in Maine so it wasn't that big a deal.  But for many folks that live in our area it was Big.  It is all in what you are used to I think.... AND it is January!!!!!
  I stayed inside and made soup (from scratch) and I baked. I did cheat a bit  and made brownies from a Betty Crocker Mix but they were Good!  And the soup was too.

Now we wait for all the snow to melt again.  It will take a bit longer than the last little one we got.

I hope you will all visit me again next week.  You just never know what I will be showing.  Or talking about.  Or if we have had another "adventure."


I am joining with the following Tea Parties and blog parties.

  These may not be available every week so check to be sure.

Hope you will visit them too.


13 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Very pretty. That's really nice china. It's hard to believe that it once came from a grocery store! xoox Su

Ruth W said...

Blue transferware is always wonderful! I do love it, and that's a favorite pattern. Wonderful snow scenes. We used to live in snow country and miss it...some times...but don't miss the shoveling/snow blowing. Hope you have been okay, warm and had a kettle on! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a fun collection to have, Beth. You'd think that I'd have some, but I don't have any! I used to live in PA, OH, and MI, so I'm familiar with snow storms. We even get ice storms and some snow, occasionally, in Texas. This week it's going to be in the 60's and 70's, however!

Karen said...

Hi Beth,
I love your Liberty Blue teacup and saucer. blue and white Transferware is so pretty. Oh my you have a lot of snow. We haven't had any here on the West Coast. Hope the storm misses you. Happy Tea Day! Karen

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Your blog - more than any other - makes me want to get back to my own blogging - but I think I will resist and keep "vacationing from my blog" for a little while. I have an entire set of the same dishes - also have then in green and pink/red. I love them all so much - sometimes I will set a table with a different color for each place setting. The strange thing is that I don't have any tea cups of any of the sets - I suppose those broke more easily so didn't survive. I do look for the teacups whenever I'm at a thrift store or yard sale. Your snow is so pretty - and I'm happy to be seeing it in photos only. I baked this past weekend too - lemon loaf, oatmeal/raisin cookies and blueberry muffins for breakfast - it was a fun weekend.

Kim said...

Your Liberty Blue teacup is lovely, Beth, such a very American pattern. I love your memories of acquiring your lovely china from different places in the world...a teacup here...a teacup there. "Playing" in the snow....I hope they had fun! =)

Bernideen said...

Dear Beth:
I loved seeing your snow and your lovely blue transferware pattern. I know I've seen this Liberty pattern before and it is wonderful! so glad you shared and hope your week is lovely!

Margie said...

What a lovely tea set! It's too bad that grocery stores don't sell pretty blue transferwares anymore!

Kathy said...

Good day to stay inside and sip tea!! I've been curious how this storm came to be called Jonas. Do you happen to know?

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Beth,
I love your Liberty Blue! Of course I am bonkers over any transferware pattern but I love this one. Love the stories it tells. How fortunate you are to have a set! I'm glad your storm didn't reach blizzard conditions. It missed us and I am so very thankful. They are keeping an eye on another for the coming weekend though. Can't wait for Spring!! Thank you for sharing your lovely blue and white and enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Julie's Lifestyle said...

I love your pretty blue tea cup and saucer. We too had a lot of snow, 26 inches! Too much for me! I too made homemade bean soup with kale! Stay warm and thanks for the lovely visit.
Julie

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: I did not know that about this pattern. I wonder if the red one was also a give away at the market? I am glad you are safe and that the storm did not hit you to bad. Have a wonderful, warm week. Blessings, Martha

Jann Olson said...

Gosh, I was a young mother in 1975. I never knew about these gorgeous dishes. I have seen a few since but had no idea they were in grocery stores years ago. Beautiful collection! We still have quite a bit of snow here, but not that much, thank goodness! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann