Monday, February 1, 2016

50 years and counting


We made it to 50 years............  who would have thought back in 1966 when we were married.  2016 seemed an eternity away. But this past week our 50th Anniversary arrived!!!

Our daughter sent us a fun and special package this year.  It is filled with all things golden.... It was fun to look through it and find what she had found out and about that was GOLD.  And she added three little framed pictures of us from our wedding, all those years ago.  What a special daughter we have!

For this weeks post I am showing a very special (to me) picture.  On Christmas Eve in 1965 Bill gave me a Christmas Present that included a box with two coffee mugs, symbolic of our first date.  AND nestled in that box was an engagement ring.  Needless to say I was quite speechless for a while after.  Of course my family was all there too....  wondering at first what was going on since they didn't see the ring right away.  50 years later only 1 of the pair of mugs remains intact but here it is... in a place of honor on one of my kitchen display shelves. But today I nestled it in the Anniversary Box.


Because my husband's mother was Canadian we got a LOT of bone china teacups and saucers as wedding gifts.  And that is how my collection (obsession really) came about and now of course my collection is way larger than I ever thought it would be.  The first cup and saucer I opened was the Royal Albert Silver Birches pattern. I remember it well.  Unfortunately I no longer have it, probably lost in one of our many moves.  But I did love it and it began my love of Royal Albert.  I found this picture on the internet in  case you don't know the pattern.

 Normally we don't do a whole lot for "gifts" for each other for our anniversary since Christmas is  so close by and we generally get what we want then but this year we decided it was time for a new car... so we started out looking a week or so ago and on Tuesday of last week we brought it home! That is definitely quite an anniversary gift by our standards.   It has all the whistles and bells that make it interesting to drive.  I am not sure I will ever learn them all but it is fun!  So car hunting and celebrating our anniversary were last week's adventure.



I am joining with the following Tea Parties and blog parties.

  These may not be available every week so check to be sure.

Hope you will visit them too.

15 comments:

Sylvia said...

Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary!! We celebrated our 52nd this past December.
That's a great gift...a new car!

Ruth W said...

Congratulations on such a special anniversary! We are at 42 Feb. 16th, so lagging behind! What a wonderful gift...and the car's pretty special too! Love your Silver Birch teacup...that's a favorite pattern. Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Beth, what a special occasion to be celebrating. Fifty years is a wonderful testimony of a good marriage. Congratulations! What a fabulous way to celebrate too, with a new car! What fun! The Silver Birch teacup is a beauty. Thank you for sharing your wonderful news with us and I wish you many more lovely years together.

Hugs,
Sandi

Mimi said...

Beth, how special, and congratulations! I just found you through Sandi's linkup, so I'm a new follower. Much Love, Mimi xxx

Margie said...

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary, Beth. Loved the gold-themed gift that your daughter sent you to celebrate this amazing milestone! Enjoy your new set of wheels!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Congratulations - and what a special gift from your lovely daughter. I like the mug and ring story - so sweet. We will reach 52 years in September - it's been fun all the way along. A few struggles at times - but so much fun. Here's to a whole lot more!!!! We bought our new car 5 years ago for my birthday - for some reason we have often bought cars on my birthday - and it still looks brand new and shiny (wish I did too).

Kim said...

Wow...50 years....congratulations. You must have married when you were 10! =) What a romantic fellow you husband is. Amazing you still have one of the mugs. I would think the very best present for a wedding would be oodles of lovely fine bona china..just perfect. As for your lovely car it is a beauty; may I ask....does it have wings???

Amy at love made my home said...

Congratulations!!! Happy Anniversary!! Here's to many more happy years of marriage - and enjoying driving your new car!! xx

Mrs.T said...

Congratulations! 50 years is amazing! The gift from your daughter is so very thoughtful. And I love that Silver Birch teacup. So pretty.

Snap said...

Happy Happy Anniversary! Love the gift from your daughter and the story of your matching mugs and engagement ring. So sweet. I love the Silver Birch teacup ... so different from the flowers and roses! Happy Tea Day and enjoy your new car.

Christina Paul said...

Happy Anniversary!
Your family definitely gets an A+ in the gift giving department!
Cheers!

Bernideen said...

Hi Beth:
Wishing you a Happy Anniversary from Missouri. Going home tomorrow! I love that cup and saucer as it was a popular one in Colorado.....especially with the birch (or could be Aspens). Very sweet and so glad you shared! I am sending you this from the grocery store as we don't have internet here yet!

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

Happy Anniversary and much congratulations! Your daughter put together a really meaningful anniversary box. Loved hearing your story about your mug and first teacup and saucer. I really love that RA pattern. I'm glad it started your love of teacup collecting. Enjoy your shiny new four wheeled gift!

Lady Linda said...

Congrats on your anniversary! I loved your story. Your daughter sent you such a sweet gift for your special day.
Quite a nice new car too! I just found your blog and I will stop back as we seem to like a lot of the same things.
Have a great weekend.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Happy 50th Anniversary to you and your sweetheart! My late beloved and I were married 43 years, so cherish those years together, Beth.