Thursday, May 3, 2012

Some little quilting projects finally finished.

Last week I attended a class at my local quilt shop and FINALLY learned the really proper way to bind a quilt.  Now mind you I didn't take a big project to the class.  Just this small runner.  But I learned, it is done and I am happy with it.  The project itself took me in a lot of directions.  I saw one like this last summer when I was in Maine.  Someone had made a sample runner with a similar look and it was on display in the fabric dept.  of  Marden's department store in Brewer. Maine.  I loved the idea but they didn't have any patterns.  So I had to figure it out myself.

I did buy the fabric from Mardens to make it and once I got home I started my plan.  Here is the finished project and after you see that I will explain what I did.  Click on it to see it bigger.
 The original one had oak leaves that sort of left the edges so I decided to do the same thing.  I had to find a pattern so I went to google and found a picture which I enlarged and printed out to use as the pattern.
I decided to just machine applique them onto the base and did so using variegated threads to make it a bit more interesting.  I included the batting before I did the stitching so it was actually being quilted at the same time as I was appliquing.
 If you click on the picture to see the image better you will have an idea of what I did.  I used a different stitch to make the stems on the leaves and used a light brown so it would show up as a stem.
By doing this I also cut back on quilting I might need to do.

Finally I knew I needed to "fill up" some of the open spaces so decided to use a pattern for an acorn.  I printed that one out from Google Images as well.  And I found a decorative stitch that I think looked almost like the edge off an acorn would look.  So this is the result.  I am happy with it.

 And it is finished, bound and waiting for the fall to go on my dining room table,

In addition to that project, I also started and finished this little mat.  I had seen some place mats like it and I wanted to see two things.  1.  Could I make it  and 2.  Would I like them if I did in my own colors.
 I don't know why the colors look so different in the two pictures.  If you click on this close up one you can better see the little stitches I did.  They serve as quilting but also are nicely decorative I think.
I decided to use some fabric I already had and figured out how to make my own pattern.  Finally after sewing together all the parts I looked through my stitches and found one that I thought would look good.  So here is the end result.  I don't think I will make anymore but I am glad I tried it.  And our phone now has a mat to sit on.

Well, not to just sit back and rest I am now working on a couple more projects I hope to be able to show
you in the next few weeks.  More table runners....  I like them because they aren't such a big project and they are also easier to quilt.

Be sure to come back to visit next Tuesday for Tea Cup Tuesday.  Not sure what I will have to show you yet.  But I have a lot to choose from so it should be good.

No comments: